Friday, August 04, 2006

Matt at Windermere, or "Flickr Rediscovered"

Matt at Windermere

More than a year ago, I signed up for a Flickr account, but I didn't really use it, because I was bent on writting my own blogging application. Yesterday I re-discovered Flickr and fell in love. Today I registered for a "pro" account.

For the uninitiated Flickr is a free online photo sharing application (the pro account costs 25 USD/year). While Blogger does allow you to upload photos directly to a blog post, I find Flickr easier to use, and a far better way of organizing photos to be shared online. (For organizing photos on the desktop -- Google's Picasa is the clear favorite.)

There are several ways of posting Flickr photos on your blog -- including (for those familiar with Picasa) the "Blog This" button -- which supports simple, one click photo posting right to your blog.

Flickr was one of the first application to really get behind tagging (which is now the web's trendiest method for categorizing anything), and they've got the photo collection thing licked -- they call it photos sets. Check out my photos set of Matt's 3rd birthday. As a software developer I'm amazed at how cool Flickr's organizing tools are -- brilliant. I'm also really impressed with the slideshow feature. A sweet tool, very well implemented.

Flickr also has some great tools for managing privacy and copyright. I highly recommed you check it out (free registration required). If you do sign up, drop send me a note and I'll add you to my contact list.


No comments: