Monday, August 07, 2006

Grassi Lakes Hike 2006

The Wolff's and the Freibergs hiked Grassi Lakes, near Canmore Alberta today (Heritage Day 2006). The hike was perfect for our little group. I ended up carying Matt most of the way up, but he walked the whole way down. Gracie is quite comfortable being on her own -- it's amazing what a couple of years of maturity will do. Erin carried Hannah in the Snugli, and the two of them fared very well.

It took less than an hour to get to the top (including a couple of stops along the way). The lakes at the top were amazing. The colour and clarity of the lake water was remarkable.

While Erin, Matt and I we're stationed at the top -- some climbers above us kicked some rocks down, and about 15-20 baseball sized stones came hurling through the air all around us. Erin was hit by one in the shoulder and it was very painfull. Had the rock fallen a couple of inches lower, it would have hit Hannah in the head. Erin quickly ran out of the way, and I grabbed Matt and got out of the way. I can honestly say this was the most dangerous "outdoor" experience I've ever had.

That aside, the trip was really great. The weather was excellent (not too hot), and the kids had lots of fun (Livy and Matt will do much better next year).

5 comments:

Lara said...

The pictures turned out great. I need to try to put mine up on Flikr

Anonymous said...

Those rocks can be scary. When my cub pack went up to the ice caves I got hit by a boulder that some clowns decided to kick loose. It came skipping down the mountain too fast for me to dodge it and smacked me in the back of my shoulder and arm, sending me head-over-heels down the slope for a good 15 feet. Now I am a self-appointed spokesman against kicking rocks down hillsides.

Melinda Palmer said...

Where was the Palmer's invite? Kidding...looks like fun, and what the heck happened to Liv's pants?

Scott Wolff said...

Derek,
I seem to remeber hearing about your rock falling story. Was Kevin there with you?

Anonymous said...

It was back before I knew you guys. I never figured out who actually kicked it loose, so it could have been Kevin. I wouldn't put it past him.