Monday, November 08, 2004

November 6, 2004

Had a nice dinner over at mom and dad's place tonight. Chad & Naomi Wolff, and Jeff and Chelsea Wolff (and thier kids) came over for desert. It's sad that we haven't done more with them. It's strange that I don't really know either of them (or any of the Wolff extended family). For some reason we've never associated much with the Wolff's.

As far as I can recall, there's only been two Wolff family reunions. I don't recall the first reunion at all (I was very young), and the second was held near Waterton in the late 1980's. I was just old enough to feel uncomfortable around the all of the extended cousins, and therefore didn't really feel, or try to be included.

I belive it was at that reunion that the Harvey and Isabella Wolff clan sang, "Swing Me In the Moonlight", and "Is Your Mother Home Molly Maloney". It was at this reunion that I recited "The Jaberwocky". It's odd to me that I would have done that. As I recall, I wasn't very excited to recite a poem that I percieved no one around me had any interest in. But for some reason, (which reason I still don't understand to this day), they thought people would enjoy it. I really don't know if they did or not -- but mom liked it.

It was at this reunion that a large group of the Wolff's (including Kev, dad and I) climbed Old Chief Mountain. Most of the hike up the mountain was un-remarkable. There was a section of shale that I recall was difficult to manage, but generally speaking ther was nothing noteworthy. Clearly the most vivid memory I have of climbing Old Chief was approaching the top. The last 20 minutes of the hike brings you up around the west side of the sheer rock face. Once you get to the plateau at the top, you're not quite done. The highest point of the mountain is about in the middle of the plateau.

Everyone in the group (save dad and I) walked along the ridge to the highest point on the mountain. Dad and I stayed on the west side of the mountian, fearing to walk over the narrow ridge (about 6-8 feet in diameter, less than 5 feet in some places) . Kevin in what has become his charateristic style, bounded carelessly over the ridge to the highest point of the mountain. Dad, likely as scared as he's ever been in his life, found a small perch two or three feet from the edge of the mountian, and prmptly fell asleep. I sat beside dad trying to convince myself that he wasn't going to fall to his death off the side of the mountain. Needless to say, the hike down the mountain was much more relaxing. It's odd -- even to this day I'm terribly afraid of heights while climbing a mountain (Old Chief, or any other), but at the same height -- pointed donw the mountain, I'm fine.

No comments: