Friday, April 21, 2006

RSS - Really Simple Syndication (Part 1)

Now that every single person I know in the whole world is blogging, it's fitting for the Blogfather to further enlighten the minds of my humble followers on a subject of real blogging import: Really Simple Syndication!

Really Simple Syndication (RSS, or a "feed" as it's affetionately known among geeky) is a protocol (read tool) for syndicating (read distributing) structured data (read blog posts).

Translation
: RSS is a tool for distributing blog posts.

Every Blogger Blog has structured feed for distributing your blog posts. The feed for my blog can be found at http://tuscan.blogspot.com/atom.xml, if you use blogger as your blogging tool, you can see your feed by pointing your browser to: http://insert-your-blog-namehere.blogger.com/atom.xml. Some will point out that blogger doesn't use RSS, rather ATOM for syndication, but we'll discuss that is later posts. For now check out your feed, and in my next post, I'll show you how to use a "feed reader" to access all the blogs you read from a single screen.

1 comment:

Melinda Palmer said...

I'm not necessarily seeing the benefit of instituting said "RSS". Please enlighten me further...and in simpler terminology...thank you