Thursday, October 14, 2004

Blog Application Progress

I've made some decent progress on my blog application. I've simplified the entry dataset (which is really the heart of the application) and re-wrote all the stored procedures with better joins and no temporary tables. This way I get much better resultsets that allow me to write much less procedural logic in the application layer.

I've also written a custom user control for displaying data to the page. The control is called DisplayEntry.ascx and it has a single property of type Entry_DS (a dataset) named resultset. Resultset simply receives the entry result set as requested by the application and formats it. This is nice because it basically turns my whole blog application into about three pages: an admin page, a posting page and a display page. And it does all this without compromising flexibility.

I'm hoping to have version one the application working sometime next week -- but computer time is a rare, precious gift -- so I'm not sure when V1 will go up.

No comments: