Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Atlas Shrugged

I've been re-reading Atlas Shrugged, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Rick suggested I read this book several years ago, and it honestly changed my life -- or rather it enhanced or clarified my thinking on philosophy and on the concept of objective values, the meaning of words, the importance of doing what you say, the importance of intellect and ability etc...

It's good to read this sort of book more than once, there's so much to it, and over the years I now have more/different experience by which to understand the book.

I noticed Judy's post on the possibility of an Atlas Shrugged movie being produced staring Angelina Jolie as Dagny Taggart. I've heard this rumor for years -- but I bothered to do some research, and was able to confirm it (also here). I looks like Brad Pitt is actually being considered for the role of John Galt. Like Judy, I've also had fun giving consideration to who I think would do well in the movie.

Over the past few years, I've been casting the movie as I read the book. Here's what I've come up with (this is subject to change as I give it some more consideration):
  1. Dagny Taggart -- Jennifer Connelly (younger) or Catherin Zeta-Jones (older).
  2. John Galt -- Orlando Bloom (younger)
  3. Hank Rearden -- Clive Owen (drop the accent)
  4. Fransisco D'Anconia -- Lou Diamond Phillips (they'd have to make him look South American)
  5. James Taggart -- James Woods
  6. Lillian Rearden -- Sigourney Weaver
  7. Eddie Willers -- Ewan McGreggor or John Cusak
  8. Ragnar Daneshold -- Heath Ledger
  9. Bertram Scudder --
  10. Orin Boyle -- Allan Rickman
  11. Wesley Mouch -- Geoffrey Rush
  12. Paul Larkin --
  13. Dr. Floyd Ferris -- Matthew Broderick
  14. Robert Stadler -- Kevin Spacey
  15. Hugh Axton --
  16. Wyatt Ellis -- Matthew McConnaghey
  17. Midas Mulligan -- Nicholas Cage
  18. Quentin Daniels -- Christian Bale
  19. (able train worker guy) -- Josh Duhamel
Others I would like to see in the movie but not sure exactly where they fit in: Rober DeNiro, Cate Blanchett, Parker Posey (as James Taggart's bride).

2 comments:

J. D. said...

You have to much time on your hands

Judy Taylor said...

I am impressed! I never got further than Dagny, Hank, John and Francisco. I think I'd rather see the Hispanic actor from CSI:Miami as Francisco. In the olden days, I thought Jimmy Smits would have been good in that role.